From the Dominican convent...
The chapel of Saint-Quirin is part of a vast complex forming the former convent of the Dominican Sisters of Sylo. They were named after their original convent, founded in the early 13th century in the Sihlbach forest near Ribeauvillé.
The Dominican nuns took refuge in Sélestat in 1258 after being expelled from their convent in Ribeauvillé by Conrad de Horbourg, brother of the Count of Horbourg who supported the community.
After their arrival, the sisters had a new building constructed between 1266 and 1275, as well as a church around 1280. In 1792, the convent was closed and the nuns were forced to leave.
... to the civil hospital
The hospital's vocation dates back to 1803 and it was in 1807 that the hospital became the definitive owner of the premises by decree of Napoleon.
This was followed by a series of works, particularly in the former convent church. This was redeveloped. Two storeys were built in the choir by Beck, the town's architect. Between 1828 and 1832, a ceiling was added to the nave to create two wards for military patients upstairs. In 1842, the ground floor was refurbished according to a design by the town's architect Rivaud. A chapel was installed and a staircase leading to the first floor was built in the transverse corridor. The work was completed in 1845.
In 1927, the building adjoining the chapel on the left was raised by one storey. The pediment was sculpted by Victor Will. It depicts the coat of arms of the former chapel of the Fischerbach hospital and a dove with wings spread over a tau.
The Saint-Quirin chapel today
Following the construction of the general hospital centre in 1965, the Saint-Quirin hospital was converted into a retirement home. It closed its doors in 2000. As for the chapel, it was desanctified and dedicated to contemporary art exhibitions from 2001. It also regularly hosts works by artists taking part in the Sélest'art contemporary art biennial.