Witches' Tower

History of the building

The Witches' Tower is the former Niedertor (lower gateway) of the first wall (1216-1230), which is thought to have been altered in the late 13th and late 14th centuries. Its current state is very different from its original appearance. The upper floors were used as a prison, particularly in the 17th century, for "witches" before they were executed. In 1774, the ground floor housed a salpêtrière and a depot for equipment belonging to the fortifications department.

 

Description of the tower

The first two levels of the witches' tower are original. These levels can be identified by the embossed sandstone or granite quoins that extend for approximately 10 metres at the corners of the façade facing outwards from the town (towards Place de Lattre de Tassigny). It should be noted that these embossed stones rise higher towards the outside than towards the inside of the town, as this is the side most exposed to attack. The walls are also thicker on this side of the tower.

Around 1299, the witches' tower was raised by 3 storeys. These storeys were open at the throat towards the interior of the town to prevent the enemy from using them against the town's defenders, but also to reduce the cost of building materials. It was also at this time that the tower was fitted with defensive elements. The corbels that supported the wooden hoardings used to defend the entrance to the tower can still be seen on the façade facing outwards from the town.

The archway on the outside entrance bears marks on its keystones resembling a ‘+’ on the first scroll and a “T” on the 2nd scroll, while on the archway on the inside the marks resemble a recumbent ‘Z’. Both arcades were walled up in the 17th century. Today, it is once again possible to pass under the tower.

Access to the 1st floor was through the door in the centre of the south wall. It was probably reached by means of a wooden staircase, the landing of which must have been supported by three wooden corbels.